Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Ummm, ok, so maybe I spoke to soon

Chris: Did you do a gauge swatch?
Me: (scoffing) Naw, I never do one unless it's a sweater.

Cut to me an hour later at home.....
Not... going... to.... fit...

I eventually got it on but it wasn't going to go much higher up on my leg than this.

Grr. No option but to frog it. Luckily something (impatience) made me try it on tonight so I found out relatively early in the game that it didn't fit. I just hope my LYS has some long size 2 or 3 circulars on hand because the thought of waiting for them to be shipped is just too much!

The reason I need the long circulars is because I started these bad-boys using the Magic Loop method which I'm such a fan of already! My major hold-up on making socks (besides second sock syndrome of course) is that I create terrible ladders between the needles that I can't seem to ever get rid of no matter how tight I pull. This great method not only gets rid of that issue but means I won't have to run up and down any more NJ Transit train cars looking for my 5th double pointed needle (seriously did this Saturday night).
The next trick I want to learn is to knit with two circulars which should combat my other sock issue. Oh, and I want to learn how to knit toe-up. Yeah, that should about cover it for now. After I master all of that I can start to worry about playing around with alternate heal types and making my own patterns ;-)


Last but not least, the yarn I'm using is some light-weight Socks that Rock yarn I got at Stitches. And while it does totally rock, I have to warn you, it also rolls. The color that is. I washed my hands tonight after knitting with it and found a pile of purple soap foam forming in the sink. I will definitely be giving these a super rinsing before wearing them so I don't end up looking like violet!

6 Comments:

At 1/17/2007 12:35 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I have sock issues too!!! I think I'm going to use the pattern you're using. I'll give it a few more rows but I'm afraid it's not working out as I planned!!!

 
At 1/18/2007 2:06 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

You should do the Monkey Socks too! It'll be "our thing", won't that be nice?

 
At 1/22/2007 7:55 PM, Blogger Jana said...

What annoys me is when I do a gauge swatch and the thing still comes out different than I intended. One of these days I'll get the hand of this knitting thing.

 
At 1/25/2007 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

those socks look like they will come out amazing. i am still too intimidated to do socks, for the fear of having a major case of 2nd sock syndrome....it's already bad enough that i have a sweater that is 90% done that's been that way for almost 2 years now!!!

 
At 1/26/2007 11:01 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1/26/2007 11:02 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

Yeah, I hear you. I took my sweet ass time putting my sweater together once I finally finished it. Then, I took my time unraveling the whole thing. It is now a pile of green yarn balls waiting to fulfill their sweater destiny. This has been going on far too long. Also, I think SSS is a big risk to knitters, you may think you're immune, but until they come up with a vaccine no one is really safe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page This site is certified 44% EVIL by the Gematriculator
< ? NJ Bloggers # >
Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next

This application is created by interactive maps.
You can also have your visited states map on your site.

If you see this message, you need to upgrade your flash player.
Make your visited states mapInteractive flash maps
Click for Red Bank, New Jersey Forecast
adopt your own virtual pet!
Technorati blog directory

MYSTERY CARROT AWARD
MYSTERY CARROT AWARD

for website adequacy