Monday, July 31, 2006

Namaste

So, as my knitting circle knows, I have been strongly opposed to circular needles for quite some time now (and yet double points no problemo, go figure!). It wasn't that I didn't want to love them but that they didn't love me back. I just could not get them to work for me no matter what I did and believe it or not it wasn't that I was twisting the yarn, it was the joining of the ends and moving the knitting around in a circle! Anyway, with a little tough love and persistence it suddenly all fell into place for me. Now, I think I may have become a convert thanks to the pattern for my new felted yoga mat bag. But just as I'm finishing up my bag I realize something peculiar about the pattern.... it's incomplete! The last line of directions says "join A and knit 1 rnd. BO 62 sts - 18 live sts remain." And that's it! So what, I'm supposed to just have my needles hand off the bottom of the bag for the rest of eternity? So I opted to scrap that last bit and move on to fudging a strap (which is too long but better than too short) and I even decided to add a pocket for my yoga strap and keys. Now it's juuuuust right! But, if someone knows out there in blogland where this pattern originated from I would love to know so that I can give the designer their props as well as see the second page of directions.

Over-all though the experience was quite satisfying and now I feel confident that I can begin the artful afghan as well as a thousand other projects that I have put off for my fear of circular needles :-)

before felting...



...and after (sans pocket)

AHHHHH Blogger what are you doing to me?!?! Once again it's going through the motions of uploading my pictures (right down to telling me to click "done") and then nuthin'! A big fat hairy nothing is posted! Grrrrrr. Luckily I had time to upload these two pictures yesterday or there'd be no shots to show you at all.

6 Comments:

At 8/02/2006 6:49 AM, Blogger Jana said...

Tracy it looks terrific! You should be so proud! I think your version is just great, screw the instructions!

 
At 8/02/2006 2:08 PM, Blogger JJINJERSEY said...

I love the yoga bag, it makes me want to yoga.
I can't wait to see the artful afghan...when do I get to start putting in requests again? (I figure since I have the first knitted anything ever in my living room from 2003, and since I stole your fingerless gloves right out from under you in 2005... I'm going at a rate of 1 obnoxious request a year)
You might just tell me to learn to knit but I'm really sucking at it. I need a group.

 
At 8/02/2006 2:36 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

JJ, you may place requests at any time now - believe it or not Christmas is right around the corner for knitters!
And just so you know, I love when you accept and/or request items, it's a major thorn in the sides of many knitters when people don't recognize the work that goes into it.

 
At 8/04/2006 9:58 AM, Blogger Krysia said...

I absolutely LOVE the yoga bag. The colors you picked are great as well. I can't wait to get one started myself.

 
At 8/04/2006 10:03 AM, Blogger Krysia said...

Alright. I did a little research and it looks like the pattern came from the book "Last Minute Knitted Gifts". It may have been a correction page which is why there was only the one page. Hope this helps!

 
At 8/04/2006 10:29 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

Thank you so much Krysia! Now I can go check out the book and see what they had planned for part two of the pattern. Great detective work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page This site is certified 44% EVIL by the Gematriculator
< ? NJ Bloggers # >
Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next

This application is created by interactive maps.
You can also have your visited states map on your site.

If you see this message, you need to upgrade your flash player.
Make your visited states mapInteractive flash maps
Click for Red Bank, New Jersey Forecast
adopt your own virtual pet!
Technorati blog directory

MYSTERY CARROT AWARD
MYSTERY CARROT AWARD

for website adequacy