Thursday, September 28, 2006

Yes, it sure does go in a lot of directions

Let's see, what have I been doing this past week instead of blogging? Well, I joined the Greys Anatomy KAL as previously mentioned(2nd episode of the new season is on tonight!) and got started on my a multidirectional diagonal scarf. I was moving right along with no problems on Thursday and brought my knitting (of course) along to a friend's house for dinner and a movie on Friday. So I'm knitting and chatting with Chris, who has begun knitting recently and is taking to it like a duck to water. Anyway, there I am knitting along when I look down at my work. Hmmm. Somethings not quite right, but what is it? I pick it up and try leaning it to the left and then to the right "Chris, am I knitting off to the side?"

We decide that it's fine and I must just be going crossed eyed from all the diagonals. But no such luck. I must have missed one row of work causing me to start the next short row section on the wrong side... thus creating a 45 degree angle.



OK, so I guess I should look at my work a little more often huh? Rip, rip, rip and we're back on track.



Last night I finished the scarf against my right hands advice. I did something to my right ring finger apparently. Can you even get Knitters Finger? I noticed toward the end of the night on Tuesday (knitting group night) that it was a little sore where the needle was resting but I just figured I over-did it and all would be well after a little rest. Well of course I couldn't just leave well enough alone and give myself a couple days off from knitting, I was having way too much fun watching all of the colors progress (Noro Silk Garden - mmmmmm).

Well, by last night as I was finishing up the last little bit, I was in some serious pain (just 10 more decrease rows, their decreases for God's sake!). The pain isn't constant, just a random zing of "owww oww OMG OWWWW" when you least expect it. But I'm no quitter, I wrapped a piece of the scarf around my finger for a cushion and finished her off.

While I'm not normally a fringe person it seemed to need a little something so I caved. We'll see how long I keep it on there. Tonight, washing and blocking!




Yesterday, I also got half of my new spinning booty in the mail!


And since I have this from ye olde ren faire...

I can try spinning tonight instead of knitting and give my hand a break.

See, the fiber gods are always watching out!

Oh, did I not mention the spinning thing? Yeah, umm, I bought some roving (top?) on ebay because I wanted to play with some colors and try plying them together and all that good stuff. I know I shouldn't start down this path because knitting is a gateway drug. Knitting, turns into spinning, which leads to weaving and before you know it you've got a llama and a sheep roaming your back yard. I vow to try and cut myself off somewhere around a wheel, is that fair?

5 Comments:

At 9/29/2006 6:45 AM, Blogger Jana said...

I want that scarf! It is so gorgeous! It's so cool that you're spinning too. I have heard about the gateway issue...

 
At 9/29/2006 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're on a great road with the spinning! It looks sooooo neat! Can't wait to see how it goes for you. The scarf is beautiful - love the colors!!

 
At 9/30/2006 12:47 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

I have made the same mistake with "ye olde multidirectional diagonal scarf" not once, but twice! I'm knitting two of them right now, so it's one mistake per scarf.

I love the Noro you used. What number is it? BTW, I'm not usually a huge fan of fringe either, but I'm going to add it to mine, too. Otherwise the ends just look too blocky or something.

Have you checked out the short row rib scarf at magknits? http://www.magknits.com/warm05/patterns/rib.htm

Now that I've "mastered" short rows (i.e. actually learned what they are), I'm going to try this one soon.

 
At 9/30/2006 1:03 PM, Blogger Ellen Alexandra said...

I saw your comment to me on the Gray's KAL. Yeah, I definately see the guys on TV once in a while: Emmett on Will & Grace, Michael hosting that reality show about rich/poor kids, and I think I saw the same commercial (with Brian) too! I just ordered Season 3 from Amazon!

Very pretty scarf, btw!

 
At 10/01/2006 9:31 PM, Blogger Tandi said...

Gorgeous MD scarf!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page This site is certified 44% EVIL by the Gematriculator
< ? NJ Bloggers # >
Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next

This application is created by interactive maps.
You can also have your visited states map on your site.

If you see this message, you need to upgrade your flash player.
Make your visited states mapInteractive flash maps
Click for Red Bank, New Jersey Forecast
adopt your own virtual pet!
Technorati blog directory

MYSTERY CARROT AWARD
MYSTERY CARROT AWARD

for website adequacy