Friday, November 24, 2006

There's a reason it's called a dirt mall

Wow, it's been a very busy week and it's not even Thanksgiving's fault!

I'll try to catch you up more with pictures than words, since from what I hear the exchange rate is a thousand to one ;-)

Last Saturday I went on a mini road trip to the flea market. It was a gray and dreary day and the ground was soggy from previous rains but the temperature was fairly mild and I enjoyed myself immensely. I don't get to go there to often, but I definitely plan to make more time for it in the future. I am a true people watching connoisseur. My favorite subjects can usually be found in great numbers at the flea market - other good places to people watch: train stations, buses, renaissance fairs, concerts, family functions. I am also a major pack-rat who tends to fall for the unusual, odd, campy and old. My favorite finds will include a mixture of these genres.

Sadly, I didn't take too many pictures because I'm not so brave with the camera when I'm alone in a setting like that, however I got a few shots to give you an idea of the surroundings. I also have a few pictures of some of my many treasures...

I wish I had a panoramic camera so you could see how far it stretches. Also, there are 3 (4?) buildings which house permanent units for the hardcore flea marketers
you can sell ANYTHING and eventually someone will come along to buy it

The day is coming to an end
As I was wandering around I came across a pile of old cookbooks that caught my eye. It was the uber brown and shiny turkey on the cover that first lured me over to the table but it was the next book that made me break out the singles...
Why yes, that is a jello mold with olives, tomatoes, lima beans and mandarin oranges suspended in it! Olives and Jello?
No, maybe you didn't hear me, I said OLIVES & JELLO!!!
After I got it home I even checked the recipe thinking maybe it was a beef consume mold (gross but somehow slightly less awful) but no, it actually called for "fruit flavored gelatin" - sadly, no specific "fruit" was suggested however :-(
My favorite moment was while I was flipping through the book laughing and gagging at the same time the 96 year old gentleman selling it commented to me on how the books had such tasty recipes inside. I tried to joke about the jello mold possibly not being an appropriate hostess gift but I fear I may have inadvertently made fun of his wife's holiday tradition (Aunt Bethany's jello with cat food comes to mind) So I decided that in the end "yes, yes, I see that", was the best response possible.

My brother noticed that first book also has an entire chapter dedicated to cooking with frankfurters which appalled him at first but like watching a car accident, sometimes you can't help but want to take a quick glance. You'd be surprised at how much you can do with them. Especially if you have some mayo, onions and of course more olives, on hand, Please believe me, I am not joking about this, some things are too sacred to joke about (like hotdogs).
Lastly, I found the gem for only 50 cents can you believe it!?! I'm sure I could have haggled with the woman but it just didn't seem right. This is art we're talking about after-all and I figure when I take it to the Antique Roadshow and get 80 grand for it I don't want to feel bad for cheating the woman out of a quarter. Actually I won't be cashing in this badboy, this fine item is earmarked for a friend who shares a taste for the distasteful. Hope it's enjoyed!


Tomorrow hopefully I'll finally find time to post about my first international swap package and all the baking that's been goin' down. I don't like to post unless I can share the pictures - you know how it is.

1 Comments:

At 11/25/2006 10:57 AM, Blogger Jana said...

Oh my gosh! The Family Circle books? My mom had (and may still have somewhere) the entire series. It was like 20 books. Verrrry retro. And the teddy bear clown picture? You know what I'm thinking right? It would make such a great wedding present!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page This site is certified 44% EVIL by the Gematriculator
< ? NJ Bloggers # >
Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next

This application is created by interactive maps.
You can also have your visited states map on your site.

If you see this message, you need to upgrade your flash player.
Make your visited states mapInteractive flash maps
Click for Red Bank, New Jersey Forecast
adopt your own virtual pet!
Technorati blog directory

MYSTERY CARROT AWARD
MYSTERY CARROT AWARD

for website adequacy