Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Bastardo Critters!


I was so excited when I lifted the cover off the turtle and saw that the tulips I planted in the fall were coming up. Every year I try something different in ye ol' Yertle the Turtle but this was the first year that it started to look like it was actually going to yield some strong and cut-able flowers.


After work today I went to check on them and from a distance noticed I couldn't see any purple flowers. I assumed the rain storm we had must have beaten them down but alas it's much worse...

Some friggin' critter ate every last one of them!
The weirdest thing, and the theme of the turtle for the last 6 or so years is that only the flowers inside Yertle seem to be worth eating. The daffodil's 2 feet away as well as the dozen tulips just about 4 yards away are all in pristine shape. Grrrr, sometimes I hate that I'm an animal lover because on a day like today I sure could ring a furry little neck! (cue Ms. Hannigan voice)


On the bright side, I guess I don't need to rush to clean up the leaves and stuff in the surrounding area anymore.

4 Comments:

At 4/19/2007 12:31 PM, Blogger sko_G knits said...

what?!?!?! why the heck would they want to eat only the ones in yertle the turtle?!?! how madenning!!

 
At 4/19/2007 4:08 PM, Blogger EK said...

Same thing happens on my deck at home. You would think that since it´s elevated, has a locked gate, etc. that nothing could get in. Nope. I´ve had all sorts of animals find their way up, even a tremendous groudhog that squeezed itself through the narrow rails just to eat tomatoes and all the leaves on the stalk while it was at it. So, no more plants that can´t be hung up somewhere safe.

 
At 4/21/2007 10:05 AM, Blogger Jana said...

what a bummer! Poor yertle. She must feel all empty inside now.

 
At 4/23/2007 4:44 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

How bizarre! I've never heard of anything eating tulip heads, before. Are you sure it isn't some amorous teenager trying to get cheap flowers?

Oh, thanks for the sweet comment on the ISE4 blog. If you want the charted version of Column of Leaves, you can get it from the sidebar of my blog, http://alohaknitter.blogspot.com

Will you let me know if it doesn't work for you? (If you decide to use it). Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page This site is certified 44% EVIL by the Gematriculator
< ? NJ Bloggers # >
Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next

This application is created by interactive maps.
You can also have your visited states map on your site.

If you see this message, you need to upgrade your flash player.
Make your visited states mapInteractive flash maps
Click for Red Bank, New Jersey Forecast
adopt your own virtual pet!
Technorati blog directory

MYSTERY CARROT AWARD
MYSTERY CARROT AWARD

for website adequacy